19th June 2017
GREEK SHRIMP SAGANAKI
- 12 medium prawns
- 4 ripe, juicy tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- some hot chilli pepper, according to preferance
- 2 spring onions, sliced (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 60ml Greek drink Ouzo (1/4 of a cup)
- 2 tbsps fresh dill or parsley, chopped
- 200-250g feta cheese, crumbled or cubed (8 oz.)
- Acropolis extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- a pinch of sweet paprika (optional)
- To prepare this recipe start by peeling and cleaning the shrimps.
- To prepare the sauce dice the fresh tomatoes in small cubes and let them strain in a colander, so that no excess water is added to the sauce.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat; add the chopped onion and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in the chopped garlic, chilli peppers and season with salt and and pepper. Sauté all the ingredients together for 1 more minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, cover with the lid, bring to the boil and let simmer for approx. 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens a little bit.
- In the meantime sauté the shrimps for this shrimp saganaki recipe. Season the shrimps with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add 3-4 tbsps Acropolis olive oil. Add the shrimps, sauté for 1 minute on each side and deglaze with the ouzo.
- Pour the sauce in the saucepan along with the shrimps and stir. Top the shrimp saganaki with the crumbled or cubed feta cheese, place the lid on and cook for 3-4 more minutes, until the feta slightly melts.
- Garnish the shrimp saganaki with chopped parsley or dill and serve while still hot. Enjoy this traditional Greek shrimp saganaki recipe with a cold glass of ouzo!