30th May 2017
- 2 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon Acropolis olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 800g lamb mince
- 420g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/3 cup grated pizza cheese
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 75g butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- Spray the slices of eggplant with oil and heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook eggplant slices for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until browned. Put them in a large plate.
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic (you can use Acropolis olive oil with natural garlic at this step). Stir, for 5 minutes until onion has softened and then add mince. Cook with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 6 to 8 minutes until it looks brown. Add tomatoes, cinnamon and the rest of spices. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce is thick and liquid has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, make sauce Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour and stir for 1 minute or until bubbling. Gradually stir in milk and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Stir until mixture has thickened. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan. Grease an 8 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Place one-third of the eggplant, slightly overlapping, over base of prepared dish. Spread half the meat sauce over eggplant. Repeat layers, ending with eggplant. Spread white sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden. Stand 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and feta cheese.